Monday 29 January 2007

Kells, Co. Meath, Ireland




St Columba's Church and Round Tower


St Colmcille's House, but the gate was locked when I visited today. A sign board on the gate shows "Key from Mrs Carpenter, lower church view 200 yards". Since I have already seen the house 3 month ago, so I decided not going to bother her this time.
I met Mrs Carpenter during my last visit while she was weeding the garden of the house, She was kind enough to show me around and told me the legend story of the book and monks, the secret passage from the house to the church (but still undiscovered). Inside house is pretty empty, there is a shallow ladder to the top of house. a place to make the holly wishes, I did pray and made only one wish, with full of my sincere. but sad enough, it is a wish never able be fulfilled, I only know that after 3 month later...

Market cross is a cross of unevenful fate. It has been moved several times during history, eventually, in 1996, a motorist took a tight turn on cross street, reversed and toppled this 1000-year-old cross. After that, Market Cross has been repaired and moved to the front of heritage centre.

No comments: